Over the course of the last seven days, the coronavirus (COVID-19) has prompted unprecedented changes within the world of sport.
In prioritizing the health and wellness of all our members, USA Fencing will not be sanctioning any local, regional, national or international tournaments from March 16-April 6.
Divisions are directed to postpone all sanctioned competitions across the country through April 6, 2020.
In order to allow participants from postponed tournaments to still be eligible to compete at the National Championships and July Challenge, the deadlines have been extended as follows:
- Division Qualifying Forms Submission Deadline: June 1
- Petition Deadline: June 3Regular Fee Deadline: June 3
- Triple Fee Deadline: June 12
- Withdraw Deadline: June 12
- Classification Deadline: June 12
- Check-In Times Posted: June 8
Please provide this information to clubs within your Division.
We continue everyone to practice preventative measures and prioritize the health and well-being of all of members and their families.
Tips for Fencers, Coaches, Staff, etc.
- Stay home from practice or competition if you feel sick.
- Wash your hands frequently or use hand sanitizer with 60-90% alcohol when restrooms are unavailable.
- Avoid direct physical contact with others (keep a six-foot distance when possible).
- Salute or elbow bump competitors, coaches and referees rather than shaking hands.
- Do not touch your face during a bout or training session.
- Do not share water bottles.
- Do not put your mouth on water fountains.
Tips for Club Owners and Tournament Organizers
- Make sure to have hand sanitizer and tissues in high traffic areas throughout the training or competition space, including near bout committee tables, water dispensers, score tables, etc.
- Wash all shared gear and use sanitizng wipes on weapons in between uses. Read tips on how to wash masks.
- Keep sanitizing wipes near reels and other frequently touched equipment.
- As always, make sure restrooms and locker rooms are properly cleaned on a frequent basis.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces regularly.
The CDC recommends preventative actions regarding respiratory illnesses, including:
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
Everyone is encouraged to seek further information using the CDC and the WHO websites:
Questions or personal concerns regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19) should be directed to your local healthcare provider. This remains a dynamic situation and we will update our decisions and recommendations on a regular basis both via email and at www.usafencing.org/coronavirus.
USA Fencing Director of Membership